Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DIY eyes for BJD Using Polymer Clay

I want to try a few different tests for home made eyes to see what works best for me.
Here are some made from white Fimo, polymer clay.
I used Genesis heat set oils to paint the colour onto the eyeball, but you can use acrylic. I'm just using what I have.
I top coated each eye in clear gel topcoat and cured under a UV lamp.

I made a few different sizes of polymer clay balls. I tried to make sure I had matching pairs.


I put each ball onto the end of a bit of armature wire and embedded it into a hunk of clay so it would stand up nicely and I could paint them.
I baked them at 250 for 10 minutes and let them cool.


I painted some colour onto each eye trying to make matching pairs. This is harder the smaller the eye is, and these are teeny! I baked them for another 10 minutes and let them cool again.


I gave them all a couple coats of clear UV gel and cured them in the lamp for two minutes each coat.
Can't wait to try them out.

2 comments:

Dkmille said...

I do the same thing with my eyes for my polymer clay dolls but instead before I cook i take a very small color cane light in the middle to darker on the outside, Then work a round tiny bowl with a stylus then put a very small bit of pearl paint what ever color of clay. Then a very small ball of clay in the center of the bowl you made then bake then drop your uv gel make a little dome of it then set. works great looks like real eyes.

Kellie Mowat said...

Denise!
Thanks for the wonderful tips. Great to hear your spin on the eye making. It really is great fun to make your own eyes and wigs and things. I think it really makes whatever sculpt your working on even more unique. :)