Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ridiculously Teensy Cupcakes for Absolutley No Reason

This is really a tutorial on how I made my mini cupcake liners. There are a billion and eight cupcake tutorials out there and most of them are pretty spectacular. I think it might be helpful to show how I make the thin translucent STAEDTLER Fimo Effect cupcake liner, so here goes......



I sculpted a teeny cupcake base from a 1/2 inch wide cylinder of  any colour Fimo clay you have. This is the master or the piece you will make the mold from and won't be used so it really doesn't matter what colour it is. You can make the cupcake base any size you need it to be. I baked my base in a preheated 230 degree oven on a parchment lined baking sheet and allowed it to cool before the next step.


I posted a tutorial HERE on how I make molds using ETI's Easy Mold Putty.


After the mold has cured, I remove the original cupcake base and discard it. Then I took a ball of translucent fimo effect that is half the size of the cupcake base cavity in the mold and jam that clay right on in there. I used the round end of a large paintbrush to hollow out the clay in the mold, pushing the clay up the sides and making sure I haven't pushed through the base of the cupcake. I bake the mold with the clay in it for 20 minutes in a preheated 230 degree oven on a parchment lined baking sheet. Let the mold cool after baking and then pop out the cupcake liner.

Fill the liner with some brown or tan or pink coloured Fimo letting some of the clay overflow into a muffin top. Use a coarse emery board or bit of sand paper to texture the top of the cake.


I used so STAEDTLER Karat soft pastel chalks to dust some colour onto the cake.


I used some of my Super Softened STAEDTLER Fimo (Tutorial HERE) and a teensy Wilton decorating tip to pipe some pretend icing. I just filled the small tip with softened clay and pushed it through the end with a blunt tool like a marker or a pencil. Keep in mind that this tip will never be used for real food. It's in my polymer clay cupboard for ever.


You can pipe the "icing" right onto the cake. I used a toothpick to arrange the piping and make it more even.


I made some teeny berries and cherries to top my cupcakes. I used the STAEDTLER Karat soft pastel chalks to colour some translucent fimo reddish yellow for the cherries and them added them to the head pins and pushed them into the top of each cake. These thin liners are a tiny bit see through and I think help make my mini cakes look a little more real. 
Happy Baking!

1 comment:

Chark said...

cute, cute, cute! thanks for the tutorial and I waaannnttt a teeny cupcake! These would be great earrings!