Sunday, March 22, 2015

Flax Seed and Lavender Pillows

I promised Mr. Jimmy some extra firm pillows ages ago and have been driving around with 50 pounds of flax seed in my trunk. Today was the day to finally get to it.

Here's how it went.....

I measured out two pieces of extra tightly woven cotton that were 17 x 27 inches and put them good sides together.I pinned them together around the edges and marked a 4 inch gap in the middle of one of the long edges that I would leave un-sewn. I shortened my stitch length right down and stitched two rows of stitches very close to each other.

I flattened the corners so that the seams were together and measured three inches from the corner up each fold and marked the fabric. I drew a straight line between the two marks and sewed a double row of stitches along that mark. After I trimmed the extra fabric off and zigzagged the edge.


This is what it looked like after I turned it right side out. Nice neat corners.


We filled the pillows with 25 pounds of flax seed each and 1/2 cup of dried lavender from Steed & Co.


Then I whip stitched up the openings and ran a running stitch just under that so none of the little seeds would escape.


These are really firm and heavy, but soooooo comfy!
They stay very cool. Good for those unexpected warm patches during the night.

No comments: